Saturday

[INTERVIEW] with Designer Intisaar Mukadam

"Life is an ocean of inspiration.... Africa is full of life, colour and energy...."


How did you get started?

Growing up, I always had an interest in making things, but more along the lines of beading and accessories. It was only after inheriting an old singer sewing machine from my late aunt that I started experimenting with fabrics, teaching myself pattern cutting and sewing along the way.  Even though I developed an interest in designing and making the clothes myself, I decided to enroll into a ‘foundation course’ which basically covered all areas of art and design, from fine art to fashion and graphics, at diploma level. This was a really intense course but it strengthened by passion for fashion design.

What do you most enjoy about your career?

Fashion design has very little limits. I love the simple reality that with a little imagination and dedication, you can achieve so much. I specialize in knitwear as well. And for me, this is the most rewarding area as a fashion designer, because you see the process from an idea on a piece of paper through to holding a finished piece that you know you have created ‘from scratch’. I am not much of a words person, I love to create and being a designer means that I can portray a lot about me through my designs.

Where do you get inspiration from?

Life is an ocean of inspiration! I am drawn to shapes and colours and movement. Africa is so full of life, colour and energy and you don’t even have to search far to find this. For my past two collections, Tribal and African Kaleidoscope, I striped apart elements of various African tribes, taking basic shapes and patterns as well as their use of colours. It’s so hard, nowadays to be ‘perfect’ in terms of putting the right outfit together and making sure the colours match, as everyone seems to have their own opinions about right and wrong. I love to clash colours, to show that some times it’s OKAY to be wrong J

What pieces are you most fond of?

So far, I have three pieces that I absolutely love. Two are knitted dresses from my Tribal collection which took weeks of perfecting patterns and tensions and the final pieces came out exactly the way I designed them (which is something that doesn’t happen very often ) and the third piece is a 50s inspired dress from the African Kaleidoscope collection. I used a really vibrant yellow and green for this dress and the way it moves when it’s been worn is just amazing.

What do you think of the fashion industry in Africa at the moment?

The African fashion industry has come a long way in the last 5 or 6 years and while there is a lot of light been focused on the up and coming designers in Africa, I still feel that there is a long way to go.  The talent in Africa is remarkable and we seem to be heading in the right direction. There are many creative people who are now being given the opportunity to show off their talents.

Are designers getting the right support from industry and public?

While there are a lot of people trying to bring fashion designers out of the shadows, I still think that there is a lot more that can be done- although I speak from a Zimbabwean point of view, where the industry is not that large. The younger generation seems to be a lot more daring in terms of fashion styles and are all seeking unique looks. As in any other place in the world though, it’s all about determination and going the extra mile to get your name out there. We (designers) have to put ourselves out there and not be afraid of coming short. The fashion industry, regardless of where you are is a tough industry and you have to have extreme confidence in yourself, before you can expect it from anyone else. Support can only be given when the public and the respective people in the industry are made aware that their support is needed.

What do you get up to in your spare time?

Spare time? J I’ve thrown myself into establishing my label and getting my name recognised. So any thing I do, I try to relate it to my label. I’ve been involved in dressing and styling for photo shoots, so most of my spare afternoons are spent on location for photo shoots as well as giving fashion and style consultations.

What’s next for Intisaar Mukadam?

I am quite determined to get my label up and running at somewhat of an international level.  Participating at Graduate Fashion Week 2010 in London, set the platform for me. But many graduates seem to fade out after this and are seldom heard of again, last year my goal was to keep my name on the fashion radar and representing Zimbabwe at Africa Fashion Week Johannesburg, not only helped me do this, but it also set the pace for me outside of Zimbabwe. So for now, I am focusing on building my label and taking part in as many fashion weeks as I can. And hopefully you will see IntisaarM on the runway at Africa Fashion Week New York 2012.

How do people get in touch with you?

If anyone is interested in getting in touch, or would like to see what IntisaarM is all about, they can browse through my
Photo Credits: SDR Photo/Simon Deiner Interview: Petronella

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to say whats on your mind x

You may also like

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...